Monday, October 22, 2012

Change is Good!

Change is Good!

I've been engaged in an exercise program  for exactly one year. I've learned a lot in that time. One thing that surprised me is how adaptive the body is - and not always in a welcomed way! Turns out the body eventually gets used to any exercise routine and efficiently conserves body fat, not the desired result when you are trying to lose weight! So, it's necessary to frequently change up exercises and switch routines. When you do, the body has to work harder to adjust to the new program. I've realized that as soon as I become comfortable with what I'm doing in the gym, I need to change it. 

I've been doing 45 minutes of aerobics followed by 5-10 minutes stretching and 25-30 minutes weight training for quite a while now. I met with a trainer this morning and came up with a new plan: ten minute warm-up followed by 10 minutes stretching, 30 minutes of weight training using different machines and lifts, and 35 minutes aerobics. I did the new routine this morning and, though it involved the same time and many of the same movements, it was different enough that I really felt it. I'll do this program for four or five weeks and then switch it up again. So, my advice is if you're bored with your exercise or it's just not giving you the results you want, change! 

No comments:

Post a Comment