Friday, November 30, 2012

What Works

I'm interested in what works. In my journey toward becoming healthy two things that work for me are Lose It! and Fitbit.

Lose It! is a web site and app for your phone or tablet. It helps you set and track goals, gives individualized target information for calories and exercise, and I think most importantly, hosts a support community that is really terrific. The psychological research is very clear that working towards a difficult goal - like losing weight - is much more doable when you're doing it with others. Lose It has been very valuable to me.

Fitbit is an activity tracker and much more. It tracks steps, miles traveled, floors climbed, and calories burned and will also give you a target calorie limit based on your stated goals. I have found it to be very motivating in getting the extra activity in that, a little at a time, really adds up. Fitbit will sync with Lose It! You can also develop a support community on Fitbit and enter challenges to keep you moving.

Lose It! led me to a blog that has been very helpful to me: Make Your Someday Today. The blog is the creation of Trevor LaRene and has great articles and terrific recipes, some of which I've blogged about. Trevor is a very active Lose It! member and has lost 85 pounds so far. Right now, he's running a giveaway for a subscription to Eating Well magazine, a periodical he has found quite helpful. Check it out!



No comments:

Post a Comment