Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!





What to say about Thanksgiving? I’m not given to easy sentiment or expression of emotion. I usually gag in reaction to much of flowery fluff I see posted on line. It rises to the level of the “peace and love for all mankind” responses elicited from beauty pageant contestants when asked their fondest wish. So, I’ve been thinking about what I’m grateful for and trying to be as honest, real, and down to earth about it as I can. Here’s my shortlist. What’s yours?
  
 I’m thankful for:

• My wife, Cindy Day, whose courage and love uphold me now as they have for so many years. I am particularly pleased with her recent gift of encouraging me to learn how to cook and challenging my fear of “not doing it right.” I am eternally grateful to her for reminding me at crucial times that “You don’t know.” That reminder of my lack of omniscience has saved me much grief and brought me much serenity.

• My son and daughter in law, Jim and Amy, for the privilege of knowing them as a strong and loving couple, admiring their great resilience over the last few years, and joyfully anticipating the birth of their first child Stella Noel right around Christmas Day.
• My stepdaughter Kate and her wife Maggie, two of the brightest and funniest (even more important!) people I know. Their energy, drive, intellect, character, love, and toughness simply astound me. Check out their new blog: http://kateandmaggie.wordpress.com/
• My granddaughter, Amelia, who is – objectively speaking, of course – the brightest, funniest, most beautiful grandchild in the world, a title she will soon co-own with Stella Noel. Sometimes, I look into Amelia’s eyes and I honestly see a very old soul who is destined to do great things (that will have to wait at least until she finishes first grade!)
• My friends, old and new, just for being there and for being themselves in all their glory, irascibility, honesty, brokenness, tolerance, humor, and redemption. A special thanks to my oldest friends (you know who you are!) and to the Geezer’s Breakfast Bunch for all the reasons you know.

• The opportunity in the last couple of years to take real ownership of my life, my serenity, and my health through the help of some incredible people who encourage, inspire, and hold me accountable to my own journey.

Have a Great Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment