Saturday, January 23, 2010

Hello, again!

Hello, again! After an extended (now that's an understatement) absence, I'm back. No promises, no statements of intent. I'm thinking about things and writing helps me to clarify my thinking so I'll give it another try.

I'm thinking about kicking the politics habit entirely. I've been a political junkie my whole life and particularly in the last two years. I was very optimistic at the beginning of 2009. Suffice it to say that I am now deeply pessimistic about the possibility of any real change in this country that I love. I believe the huge, multinational corporations are now very close to complete control of the economy and the government. The Supreme Court's 5 - 4 decision granting corporations the total freedom to spend whatever amount they'd like on campaigns and candidates guarantees special interest domination of elections. Both parties will jump further into bed with the corporatists. The Democrats will do so with some guilt and prattle about the need to be bipartisan. The Republicans will do so without any guilt whatsoever and will prattle about the triumph of the free market and the virtues of free speech. The result will be that corporations, including foreign owned or dominated ones, will have a totally free hand to dominate our electoral process.

Given that reality, I'm much too old to be tilting at windmills. My time may be spent more productively being of service in other ways and, frankly, enjoying my life more by cultivating mind, body, and spirit.

At least, that's what I'm thinking today!

No comments:

Post a Comment